Background: The two-implant overdenture should be considered as the first treatment option for mandibular edentulous patients. But for the maxilla, there is no widely accepted consensus yet. In this study, implant survival rate, clinical evaluations, marginal bone loss of the maxillary overdenture were investigated.
Materials and Methods: “Maxillary overdenture” was the key word of this study, and with the combination of “attachment system”, “implant number”, “implant survival rate”, “clinical evaluation” and “marginal bone loss”, 21 journals were searched by “Pubmed”.
Results: There were no differences in the survival rate according to the attachment systems and implant numbers. Especially, maxillary overdentures with four or more implants showed excellent results. Clinical parameters and marginal bone loss were not affected by attachment systems and implant numbers.
Conclusion: For successful maxillary implant overdenture treatment, four or more implants can be considered using various attachment systems.
- Feine JS, Carlsson GE, Awad MA, et al. The Mcgill consensus statement on overdentures. Montreal, Quebec, Canada, May 24-25. Int J Prosthodont. 2002; 15: 413-414.12170858
- Raghoebar GM, Meijer HJ, Slot W, et al. A systematic review of implant-supported overdentures in the edentulous maxilla, compared to the mandible, How many implants?, Eur J Oral Implantol. 2014; 7(Suppl2): S191-S201.
- Steven J. Sadowsky. Treatment considerations for maxillary implant overdentures: a systematic review. J Prosthet dent. 2007; 97: 340-348.10.1016/S0022-3913(07)60022-5
- Dudley J. Maxillary implant overdentures: current controversies, Australian Dental Journal. 2013; 58: 420-423.10.1111/adj.1211624320896
- Torsten J, Chai J, Harnett J, et al. A 5-year prospective multicenter follow-up report on overdentures supported by osseointegrated implants. Int J Oral and Maxillofac Implants. 1996; 11: 291–298.
- Eberhard Frisch, Dirk Ziebolz, Sven Rinke. Long term result of implant supported overdentures retained by double crowns: a practice-based retrospective study after minimally 10 years follow up. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2013; 24: 1281-1287.10.1111/j.1600-0501.2012.02568.x22882661
- Bergendal T, Engquist B. Implant-supported overdentures: a longitudinal prospective study. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 1998; 13: 253-262.9581412
- Närhi TO, Hevinga M, Voorsmit RA, et al. Maxillary overdentures retained by splinted and unsplinted implants: a retrospective study. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2001; 16: 259-266.11324214
- Eberhard Frisch, Dirk Ziebolz, Petra Ratka-Krüger, et al. Double crown-retained maxillary overdentures: 5-year follow up, Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2015; 17(1): 22-31.10.1111/cid.1208723679159
- John S. Cavallaro, Dennis P. Tarnow, Unsplinted implants retaining maxillary overdentures with partial palatal coverage: report of 5 consecutive cases, Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2007; 22: 808-814.
- Kiener P, Oetterli M, Mericske E, et al. Effectiveness of maxillary overdentures supported by implants: maintenance and prosthetic complications. Int J Prosthodont. 2001; 14: 133-140.11843449
- Naert I, Gizani S, van Steenberghe D. Rigidly splinted implants in the resorbed maxilla to retain a hinging overdenture: A series of clinical reports for up to 4 years. J Prosthet Dent. 1998; 79: 156-164.10.1016/S0022-3913(98)70210-0
- Wim slot, Gerry M. Raghoebar, Marco S. Cune, et al. Maxillary overdentures supported by four or six implants in the anterior region: 5 year results from a randomized controlled trial. J clin Periodontol. 2016; 43: 1180-1187.10.1111/jcpe.1262527630092PMC5215446
- Wim slot, Gerry M. Raghoebar, Arjan Vissink, et al. A comparison between 4 and 6 implants in the maxillary posterior region to support an overdenture; 1 year results from a randomized controlled trial. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2014; 25: 560-566.10.1111/clr.1211823406268
- Wim slot, Gerry M. Raghoebar, Arjan Vissink, et al. Maxillary overdentures supported by anteriorly or posteriorly placed implants opposed by a natural dentition in the mandible: a 1 year prospective case series study. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2014; 16(1): 51-61.10.1111/j.1708-8208.2012.00459.x22577941
- Dyohong Zou, Yiqun Wu, Wei Huang, et al. A 3 year prospective clinical study of telescopic crown, bar, and locator attachments for removable four implant supported maxillary overdentures. Int J Prosthodont. 2013; 26: 566-573.10.11607/ijp.348524179972
- Katsoulis J, Brunner A. Mericske-Stern R. Maintenance of implant-supported maxillary prostheses: a 2-year controlled clinical trial. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2011; 26: 648-656.21691613
- Ferrigno N, Laureti M, Fanali S, et al. A long-term follow-up study of non-submerged ITI implants in the treatment of totally edentulous jaws. Part I: Ten-year life table analysis of a prospective multicenter study with 1286 implants. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2002; 13: 260-273.10.1034/j.1600-0501.2002.130305.x12010156
- Pieri F, Aldini NN, Fini M, et al. Immediate functional loading of dental implants supporting a bar-retained maxillary overdenture: preliminary 12-month results. J clin Periodontol. 2009; 80: 1883-1893.10.1902/jop.2009.09022719905959
- Sanna A, Nuytens P, Naert I, et al. Successful outcome of splinted implants supporting a ‘planned’ maxillary overdenture: a retrospective evaluation and comparison with fixed full dental prostheses. Clin Oral implants Res. 2009; 20: 406-413.10.1111/j.1600-0501.2008.01664.x19298295
- Kent T. Ochiai, Brian H. Williams, Satoru Jojo, et al. Photoelastic analysis of the effect of palatal support on various implant-supported overdenture designs. J prosthet Dent. 2004; 91: 421-7.10.1016/j.prosdent.2004.02.017
- Toshihito Takahashi, Tomoya Gonda, Akiko Tomita, et al. Influence of palatal coverage and implant distribution on denture strain in maxillary implant overdentures. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 2016; 31: e43-e48421-7.
- Arild Mo, Carl Hjortsjö, Heming Olsen-Bergem, et al. Maxillary 3-implant removable prostheses without palatal coverage on Locator abutments - a case series. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2016; 27: 1193-1199.10.1111/clr.1272426566604
- Publisher :The Korean Academy of Oral & Maxillofacial Implantology
- Publisher(Ko) :대한구강악안면임플란트학회
- Journal Title :IMPLANTOLOGY
- Journal Title(Ko) :대한구강악안면임플란트학회지
- Volume : 22
- No :2
- Pages :106-116
- Received Date :2018. 06. 07
- Accepted Date : 2018. 06. 29