Department of Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Seoul National University,1
Department of Periodontology, School of Dentistry and Dental Research Institute, Seoul National University2
The purpose of this study is to analyze 11-year cumulative survival rate on immediate implants placed between 2006 and 2016 at Seoul National University Dental Hospital by one periodontist (Y. K). With an aggregate 185 implants were calculated 11-year cumulative survival rate with Life table method and assessed the effect of predictor variables with Kaplan-Meier analysis and Cox proportional hazard model. After a mean follow-up time 4.67 years, 16 implants failed and 169 survived among 185 implants. The overall cumulative survival rates at 5 and 11 years were 90% and 90%, respectively. No statistically significant influence was detected between the implant survival rates and the possible risk factors: gender, age, location, history of hypertension and diabetes, smoking, implant type, fixture diameter and length and bone graft. Within the limitations of this retrospective study, immediate implant placement is a reliable and predictable restoration procedure to replace missing teeth.
1. Albrektsson T, Donos N. Implant survival and complications. The third EAO consensus conference
2012. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2012 Oct; 23(s6): 63-65.
2. Soydan SS, Cubuk S, Oguz Y, et al. Are success and survival sates of early implant placement higher than immediate implant placement? Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2014; 42(4): 511-515.
3. Buser D, Chappuis V, Belser UC, et al. Implant placement post extraction in esthetic single tooth sites: when immediate, when early, when late? Periodontol 2000. 2017; 73(1): 84-102.
4. Araujo MG, Lindhe J. Dimensional ridge alterations following tooth extraction. An experimental study in the dog. J Clin Periodontol. 2005; 32(2): 212-218.
5. Urban T, Kostopoulos L, Wenzel A. Immediate implant placement in molar regions: risk factors for early failure. Clin Oral Impl Res. 2012; 23(2): 220-227.
6. Schulte W, Kleineikenscheidt H, Lindner K. et al. The Tübingen immediate implant in clinical studies. Dtsch Zahnarztl Z. 1978 May; 33(5):348-359.
7. Chen ST, Wilson TG, Hammerle CHF. Immediate or early placement of implants following tooth extraction: review of biologic basis, clinical procedures, and outcomes. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2004; 19: 12-25.
8. Quirynen M, Van Assche N, Botticelli D, et al. How does the timing of implant placement to extraction affect outcome? Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2007; 22(7): 203-223.
9. Chen ST, Buser D. Clinical and esthetic outcomes of implants placed in post-extraction sites. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2009; 24: 186-217
10. Wilson TG, Weber HP. Classification of and therapy for areas of deficient bony housing prior to dental implant placement. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2009; 13: 451-459.
11. Hammerle CH, Chen ST, Wilson TG Jr. Consensus statements and recommended clinical procedures regarding the placements in extraction sockets. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2004; 19(Suppl): 26-28.
12. Chen ST, Buser D. Implants in post-extraction sites: A literature update. ITI Treatment Guide. 2008; 3: 9-15.
13. Buser D, Weber HP, Lang NP. Tissue integration of non-submerged implants. 1-year results of a prospective study with 100 ITI hollow-cylinder and hollow-screw implants. Clin Oral Implants Res. 1990 Dec; 1(1): 33-40.
14. Cochran DL, Buser D, Ten Bruggenkate CM, et al. The use of reduced healing times on ITI implants with a Sandblasted and Acid-etched (SLA) surface: early results from clinical trials on ITI SLA implants. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2002 Apr; 13(2): 144-153.
15. Ko SH, Chang YY, Um YJ, et al. An 8-year survival rate of immediate implants: retrospective study. J Korean Dent Assoc. 2009; 47(11): 758-768.
16. Yu GY. Categorical data analysis for medical health research. Hannarae Pub Co.; 2012.
17. Polizzi G, Grunder U, Goene R, et al. Immediate and delayed implant placement into extraction sockets: a 5-year report. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2000; 2: 93-99.
18. Suito H, Tomotake Y, Watanabe M, et al. Survival of immediate implant restoration: A retrospective study through 9-year-observation. J Prosthodont Res. 2011 Jul; 55(3): 141-145.
19. Sundar R, Maryam A, et al. Clinical evaluation of implant survival based on size and site of placement: A retrospective study of immediate implants at single rooted teeth sites. The Saudi Dent J. 2015 Apr; 27(2): 105-111
20. Barone A, Toti P, Marconcini S, et al. Esthetic outcome of implants placed in fresh extraction sockets by clinicians with or without experience: a medium-term retrospective evaluation. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2016 Nov/Dec; 31(6): 1397-1406.
21. Jemt T. A retro-prospective effectiveness study on 3448 implant operations at one referral clinic: A multifactorial analysis. Part II: Clinical factors associated to peri-implantitis surgery and late implant failures. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2017 Dec; 19(6): 972-979.
22. Anner R, Grossmann Y, Anner Y, et al. Smoking, Diabetes Mellitus, Periodontitis, and Supportive Periodontal Treatment as Factors Associated with Dental Implant Survival: A Long-term Retrospective evaluation of Patients followed for up to 10 years. Implant Dent. 2010 Feb; 19(1): 57-64.
23. Ketabi M, Deporter D, Atenafu EG. A systematic review of outcomes following immediate molar implant placement based on recently published studies. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2016 Dec; 18(6): 1084-1094.
24. Tarazona B, Tarazona-Alvarez P, Penarrocha-Oltra D, et al. Relationship between indication for tooth extraction and outcome of immediate implants: A retrospective study with 5 years of follow-up. J Clin Exp Dent. 2014; 6(4): e384-388.
25. Lanza A, Scognamiglio F, Femiano F, et al. Immediate, Early, and Conventional implant placement in a patient with history of periodontitis. Case Rep Den. 2015.
26. Wagenberg B, Froum SJ. A retrospective study of 1925 consecutively placed immediate implants from 1988 to 2004. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2006; 21: 71-80.
27. Schwartz-Arad D, Chaushu G. Placement of implants into fresh extraction sites: 4 to 7 years retrospective evaluation of 95 immediate implants. J Periodontol. 1997; 68: 1110-1116.
28. Covani U, Crespi R, Cornelini R, et al. Immediate implants supporting single crown restoration: a 4-year prospective study. J Periodontol. 2004; 75: 982-988.