Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to compare immediate suture with delayed suture after nerve transected.Materials and Methods: A group of 39 rats of Sprague-Dawley rats (250-300 g) were used in this study. 24 rats ha d a operation for facial nerve transected and delayed suture (1week later, 4 weeks later) was done. For controls, 12 rats transected facial nerve and sutured immediately. Then evaluated the recovery of immediate suture type, delayed suture type.Results: In the feature of H&E, Luxol fast blue, histologic finding was similar in delayed suture group and immediate suture group.Conclusion: Delayed suture group and immediate suture group had little difference. Delayed suture is acceptable for nerve injury due to implant installation in human cases.
1. Mozsary PG. Inferior alveolar and lingual nerve injuries : regeneration or operation? J Oral Maxillofac
Surg 1987; 45: 204, 286.
2. Robinson PP, Loescher AR, Yates JM, et al. Current management of damage to the inferior alveolar and lingual nerves as a result of removal of third molars. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2004; 42: 285-292.
3. Fielding AF, Rachiele DP, Frazier G. Lingual nerve paresthesia following third molar surgery: a retrospective clinical study. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 1997; 84: 345-348.
4. Smith KG, Robinson PP. An experimental study on the recovery of the lingual nerve after injury with or without repair. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1995; 24: 372-379.
5. Hausamen JE, Schmelzeisen R. Current principles in microsurgical nerve repair. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1996; 34: 143-157.
6. Pogrel MA: The results of microneurosurgery of the inferior alveolar and lingual nerve. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2002; 60: 485-489.
7. Wang J, Goodger NM, Pogrel MA. A method of invaginating the facial vein for inferior alveolar nerve repair. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2003; 61: 848-849.
8. Pitta MC, Wolford LM, Mehra P, et al. Use of Gore-Tex tubing as a conduit for inferior alveolar and lingual nerve repair: experience with 6 cases. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2001; 59: 493-496; discussion 497.
9. Maragh H, Meyer BS, Davenport D, et al. Morphofunctional evaluation of fibrin glue versus microsuture nerve repairs. J Reconstr Microsurg 1990; 6: 331-337.
10. Hillerup S, Hjorting-Hansen E, Reumert T. Repair of the lingual nerve after iatrogenic injury: a follow- up study of return of sensation and taste. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1994; 52: 1028-1031.
11. Blanas N, Kienle F, Sandor GK. Injury to the inferior alveolar nerve due to thermoplastic gutta percha. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2002; 60: 574-576.