Department of Prosthodontics, Gangnam Severance Dental Hospital, College of Dentistry, Yonsei University1
The aim of this case report is to describe the benefits and usage of simple palatal releasing incision. The best advantage of this technique is that it is very simple. The surgical procedure is performed by horizontal incision 5 mm away from the palatal side in the crestal incision line, and then full thickness flap is mobilized to eliminate tension. This procedure may be applied usefully when the volume of graft material is small or ridge expansion is performed, followed by simple suture without periosteal releasing incision. Another advantage is that it is a minimally invasive method for the patients. Four cases are presented to demonstrate the palatal releasing technique and healing process.
1. Kim DY. Key of implant. Dental Publishing. 2010; 486-491.
2. Nemcovsky CE, Artzi Z, Moses O. Rotated palatal flap in immediate implant procedures. Clinical evaluation of 26 consecutive cases. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2000; 11: 83-90.
3. Gomez-Roman G. Influence of falp design on peri-implant interproximal crestal bone loss around single-tooth implants. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2001; 16: 61-67.
4. Park SH, Wang HL. Clinical significance of incision location on guided bone regeneration: human study. J Periodontol. 2007; 78: 47-51.
5. Greenwell H, Vance G, Munninger B, et al. Superficial-layer split-thickness flap for maximal flap release and coronal positioning: a surgical Technique. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2004; 24: 521-527.
6. Nemcovsky CE, Atrzi Z. Moses O. Rotated split palatal flap for soft tissue primary coverage over extraction sites with immediate implant placement: description of the surgical procedure and clinical results. J Periodontol. 1999; 70: 926-934.
7. Becker W, Becker BE. Guided tissue regeneration for implants placed into extraction sockets and for implant dehiscences: surgical techniques and case reports. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 1990; 10: 376-391.
8. Landsberg CJ. Socket seal surgery combined with immediate implant placement: a novel approach for single-tooth replacement. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 1997; 17: 141-149.
9. Edel A. The use of a connective tissue graft for closure over immediate implant covered with an occlusive membrane. Clin Oral Implants Res. 1995; 6: 60-65.